Saturday 17 March 2012

♥Hide Your Roots♥


I have bleach blonde highlighted hair which is a nightmare when my hair grows! Unfortunately it's nature and nature can't be stopped =[ So over the years I've come up with some tips and tricks to hide roots.

Lightening spray


I love John Frieda lightening spray is truly works. It will lighten up any roots to blend in with your dyed or highlighted hair. Of course this is not a miracle spray it wont magically match up the colour of your dye and make your hair instantly the same colour. It does take a few applications before it gets gets very light, but in the mean time it does lighten your hair to blend a lot better and looks more natural than black roots and white hair!
I've been using this product sine I last had my hair highlighted 9 months ago now! Its been such a money saver, Especially at the moment only being £3.48 in Superdrug! Its a fab fix between salon visits.


Dry Shampoo


I love dry shampoo! Its an instant fix to hiding your roots! lots of people tell me they don't like dry shampoo and I think its because they use it wrong or their hair is just too dark for it. The first time I used it I made a complete mess! I sprayed too close to my roots and then couldn't work the product into my hair, I looked like somebody had poured flour over my head! it does take some time and practice to get it right. 
Dry shampoo also give you volume, which is another great way to hide roots.
I've found that for blonde hair and bad roots, the best dry shampoo is Batiste 'light and blonde'. unlike other dry shampoos it does not spray on a white powdery consistency, instead a golden light blonde colour to better disguise those awful roots. Like all of these products it still needs some getting used to but once you've mastered it, you wont be worrying about your roots any more. The only downside to these products is applying them wrong or having the wrong hair for them. If you have black hair I doubt you'll ever be able to work it in enough to hide the light powdery colour. If you spray too close you'll also not be able to work it in enough to evenly distribute it through your hair, it'll look a complete grey mess, be warned. Read the instructions carefully! they're there for a reason! 


Baby powder

This is no joke! Baby Powder works great in the right colour hair! Unfortunately that's only for us bleach and platinum blondes. It works quite like a dry shampoo but its a lot cheaper to buy. All you need to do is put a small amount on your roots and work into your hair so you no longer see powder on your scalp. Be careful not to put too much on, you will look like you have grey roots! Again its about trying it out a few times and seeing what works best for you and your hair. 
Warning; Any kind of powder in your hair will make it dry, so be sure to wash it out properly and use lots of conditioner to moisten your hair after. 
Also its a kind of messy method, so maybe do it over the bath tub if you don't want to make it look like its been snowing in your bedroom/bathroom. =]


Volume Volume Volume

I originally tried got2be Powder'ful by Schwartzkopf on new years for some extra volume. To my amazement I also found its a great little root hider too! It instantly lifts your hair so all your fabulous blonde is on top and all your roots are hidden underneath.  
I can't quite describe how this product feels, its a complete mystery, it seems to look like a powder but feel like some kind of thicker semi liquidy gel type once its in your hair.  Like I said, its near impossible to explain, it has to be tried!
Plus Side for Everybody- It leaves no trace of white or grey powder in your hair! So if you're blonde, brunette, redhead etc it will work for you!


Back-combing hair

One of The oldest methods which everyone will no is back-combing! Every hair colour can do it and its very east to master. Unfortunately its also the most hair damaging.  But to minimise breakage of you hair do not try to brush the back-combed hair out hen your hair is dry, jump in the shower and put lots of conditioner on then gently brush through.  Do NOT sleep with your hair still back-combed; you'll just have more trouble brushing it out and more hair damage. 
Another huge NO-NO is filling your hair with hairspray and then back-combing the sticky roots..NOOOOOOOOOO, it makes me cringe when I see girls doing this in the mirror of ladies toilets! 
That is MAJOR instant damage, and then because their hair is so damaged and thinning they do it more to hide that they are losing so much hair! its a viscous cycle.
As long as you don't over back-comb, don't do it everyday and use plenty of conditioner and are gentle getting it out you should be fine and have minimal damage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment